Tuesday, November 3, 2015

AIC website exploring experience

        After exploring the AIC website, I've learned a lot. 
        One of the most impressive artworks is American Gothic. Actually, I see this artwork everyday, but not on the museum, on the CTA platform. Everyday when I take the train to school, I will see it. I've noticed it, but I just thought it was a simple advertisement about the museum. I thought it just a poster. 
         However, after exploring the AIC website, I was stunned by it! It's not a simple poster, it's a famous artwork! I've read the description, and learned some interesting stories about this work. The artist, Grant Wood, after traveled to Europe, returned and settled in Lowa, and became increasingly appreciative of Midwestern traditions and cultures. 
         One day, when he visited a small town of Eldon, he saw a little wood farmhouse with a single oversized window, made in a style called Carpenter Gothic. He imagined American Gothic people with their faces stretched out long to go with this American Gothic house. He used his sister and his dentist as models for a farmer and his daughter, dressing them as if they were. 
        It's fun to know the background of this artwork. I will see it everyday as usual, but I think I will look it in another way.   

No comments:

Post a Comment